Subject: International Altimeter Service - Representation with GGOS SC
From: "Dr. Wolfgang Bosch" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: "C.K. Shum" <[email-masked]>, "Dr. Philip Woodworth" <[email-masked]>, Gary Mitchum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 12:51:07 +0100

Dear members of the GGOS EC !

The International Altimeter Service Planning Group (IAS-PG) has been 
working
since some time on the establishment of an International Altimeter 
Service (IAS)
based on endorsements by GLOSS, IAG and IAPSO.

On behalf of the IAS Planning Group I would like to inform you that the 
very next
days (January 14) a Call for Proposals for the Establsihment and Hosting 
of an
IAS Integrating Office will be issued (see the attached draft).
By March 31, 2007, one of the applicants will be recommended for an 
approval
by the Executive Committees of IAS and IAPSO to be performed during the IUGG
General Assembly in Perugia.

Certainly, Satellite altimetry is one essential component of GEOSS and 
in particular
GGOS. Therefore, we would like to ask for a formal representation in the 
GGOS
Steering Committee - similar to the other already existing services.

We are looking forward to your decision.

Of course, if desired, we can inform on the development of IAS and the 
status of the
Call at the next GGOS Steering Committee Meeting in February.

As long as the approval of the head of the IAS-Integrating Office  is 
not perfomed
we would like to ask you to direct any correspondence to Wolfgang Bosch 
as chair
of the IAS-PG and the Nomination Committee of the Call.

Best regards

    Wolfgang Bosch

P.S. Does GGOS have a mailing list that we can use in addition to issue 
the IAS
Call?

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wolfgang Bosch, DGFI, Alfons-Goppel-Straße 11, D-80539 München, Germany
Tel. +49 89 23031-1115   Fax: -1240           email: [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------